Upgrade Policy?

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:55:48 MST 2005

I think it's fine, if you're really a avid supporter of YDL then just
pay the meager amount of $20 of whatever it is, to say the least
you'll be supporting the development of YDL by doing so

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:51:22 -0500, J. De Salvo <jdesalvo at ydl.net> wrote:
> Fellow Yellow-Dog Enthusiasts:
>
> As I long time lurker to this list and as a Linux user (x86 and PPC), I'm
> struggling to come to terms with the YellowDog Linux policy of upgrades,
> and would like to hear your opinions.
>
> As with many of you, I enjoy using and supporting YDL. I have, beginning
> with 2.3, bought Geek editions of YDL. Moreover, because I wanted to
> support YDL, I purchase d hardware--hard drive and mouse--from YDL, though
> I might have found these same products for less money elsewhere.
>
> As with many of you, I eagerly awaited YDL 4.0 and sent in my payment for
> the Geek Edition as soon as YDL 4.0 became available.
>
> However, I am growing weary of YDL's policy of releasing upgrades first to
> those who have enhanced YDL accounts.
>
> If a problem exists with software--as it does with YDL 4.0 (sound, install
> software, xmms segfaults)--then why must all users wait a certain period
> of time to apply the fixes once the fixes are available?
>
> I understand that an initial release of software can have its bugs, but
> many Linux distributions offer bug fixes to all when those fixes become
> available. For example, SUSE Linux, Gentoo Linux offer fixes, and fixes
> and improvements, respectively, to all users as soon as these fixes are
> ready for public consumption. Why doesn't YDL?
>
> Apple Computer also follows a similar policy. Those of us running Panther
> know that Apple has already released 8 updates to Panther, free of charge
> and without strings attached. Why isn't YDL doing the same? (I for one
> might be willing to pay more upfront for a release if I knew that all
> fixes would be free and available when ready.)
>
> I appreciate the limited niche that YDL has. And I appreciate that the
> folks at YDL need to make a living. However, I'm struggling with the
> policy: we have bug fixes, but we won't release them to everyone until
> after a period of time has elapsed. (If I provide a service/product to
> someone and that product/service proves faulty--based on users'
> experience--then how can I in good conscience ask those same individuals
> to wait for a fix until an arbitrary period of time elapses?)
>
> Does this policy trouble anyone? Or is this just sour grapes on my part? I
> am sincerely trying to understand the policy and looking for a way to
> continue to support YDL.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> --

my website: http://www.johnscompany.net, premium hosting and much much
more coming soon so check back often...the topsites and guestbook is
back! check out johnscompany.net for more info