installation problems

Markus Tarköy markus.tarkoey at bernabiotech.com
Thu Feb 24 01:48:48 MST 2005

Hi there,

unfortunately I trashed my very reliable installation of YDL 3.0.1 on my
beige G3 (400 MHz Sonnet G4 Upgrade, Radeon Mac 7000, 768MB RAM) sitting on
my /dev/hda14 partition. I do not recall that I used later on FWB on this
drive, however, every attempt to install ydl, be it 2.3, 3.0, 3.0.1, fails
at the step where you choose your partition methodology. As I recall this
bug has to do with foreign non-Apple drivers installed on the drive. I am a
little bit frustrated because when I install a distribution -- whose name I
do not want to mention -- on this drive, it goes without any problems.
Seems to me that anaconda has still some flaws here.

My question now is how can I install ydl on this partition again? I am not
eager to wipe the whole drive. Any suggestions?
I thought of the following:

1) Use a second drive formatted with Apple's drive utility, make 2
partitions. One with a System 9, Boot X, ramdisk image, bootkernel. The
second one free, unallocated. Boot from this drive.

2) Install ydl on the second partition.

3) rsync everything to the first drive to /dev/hda14

How does that sound?
Cheers    Markus