module "magic number" errors

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Feb 24 04:38:26 MST 2005

> From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler at erols.com>
> Date: 2005/02/23 Wed PM 12:54:00 EST
> To: yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: module "magic number" errors
>
> I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on an external firewire drive and compiled
> my own 2.6.11 kernel.  After reconfiguring yaboot, I get errors like
> the following and a kernel panic.
>
> ieee1394: version magic '2.6.10-1.ydl.1 gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.11-rc4
> gcc-3.3
> insmod:  error inserting '/lib/ieee1394.ko': -1 Invalid module format
> ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
>
> The above repeats for each module.
>
> Any ideas how to resolve this?  Can I pass init= options to the kernel?
>
> Erik

Hi Erik:
It looks to me that the kernel was not compiled with the appropriate firewire
modules.  As you compiled this one yourself, you may have omitted selecting the
appropriate module to load while you selected your kernel options.  Of course,
you are aware that if you don't select the modules to load, the kernel's logic
will see this as a "choice", not that you wanted it and just happened to forget
or omit selecting it.

Other's here might have a different alternative to activate the missing
firewire modules, but re-reading the error message may indicate a different
problem also.  There may be a difference between the firewire modules and the
version of the kernel itself.  In other words, the modules are not current or
matched with the current version of the kernel you are using.  This is a very
different problem but one that appears to have affected YDL 4 and higher.

So I suspect that the more likely problem is the selection of the firewire
modules.  Also, in my experience, firewire drives have to be mounted onto the
scsi chain manually as far as YDL 3.0/3.0.1 is concerned, once the modules
exist within the kernel of course.  This could mean that loading YDL onto a
firewire drive may not be a good idea just now as the kernel is not seeing the
firewire drive as something it should automatically mount as the kernel is in
fact there.  You may be getting errors due to an internal contridiction.  The
current version of Linux may not expect to be mounted from an externel firewire
drive and therefore is reporting a problem in finding and loading the external
firewire drive.

Just suppositions...I wish you the best of luck in narrowing it down further.
Best wishes....