Installing YDL 4 on a Powerbook G4

Nathan Henkel henkelnz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 10:53:05 MST 2005

<yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> Subject: Installing YDL 4 on a Powerbook G4
>
> Howdy,
>
> well - I need a Linux running on my Powerbook G4. It
would no be a
> problem for me to install YDL if there would be a
solution for my
> problem.
>
> Here is it:
>
> I have tons of complex data on my Powerbook. Videos,
MP3's, Mails,
> Apps, Database data and so on. But from what I have
heart I have to
> resize my partition and make space for YDL. And the
only solution is
> buy an app which does this for me. I a Mac forum
they gave me a link
> a product which i able to resize my Partition
without loosing data.
But
> this app costs $ 50. A bit too much for a student.
:)

> Is there any other possibility?

>I'll be shortly getting a PB myself.  Unfortunately,
I >don't think
>there is an
>easy or neat solution other than coughing up the $50.
 >There is an
>alternatively though it may cost you more money...I'm
>sure you really
>wanted to
>here that.  But it would save your PB drive from
>experimentation and
>resizing
>partitions, etc.  Besides keep in mind that Linux
>doesn't support
>Airport.

>The idea is this: get an iPod and load Linux there.
>Get an iPod with
>40-60 GB
>and then repartition the drive, dedicate about 30GB
to >Linux and you
>are done.
>Of course, if you are really on the cheap you could
>acquire a used iPod
>and
>reformat it's drive completely and load Linux there,
>but then the iPod
>software
>would be gone.  If you don't care about the music but
>do care about
>using a
>really small portable drive as your Linux drive then
>...everything is
>fine.

>Best wishes...

I strongly recommend against this solution. The hard
drive in the iPod is not designed for the heavy use
that regular hard drives endure. It's a really bad
idea to use it as a primary drive. It will quickly
wear out (the drives in iPods are rated for about 1/10
the number of hours of a standard 3.5" IDE drive).
Using it as a backup, or for transferring the
occasional file is a different story. An external FW
drive will be a lot cheaper, faster, and will last
longer, and will only be a little bit more to carry.
Of course there are the problems with YDL booting from
FW drives that you'll have to untangle, but you'll get
that with an iPod as well.