[RANT] Why is KDE the default in YDL?

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:42:26 MST 2005

In YDL, KDE is the default desktop. GNOME's not even installed by default.

However, the OS as a whole is very much GTK+ based. The installer is
GTK+, the control panels are GTK+, the email application is GTK+, and
if they move to the more advanced OO.o 2.x and/or Firefox, they're GTK
based also. Even the default audio player is GTK+ baed.

So why is KDE, based on the weirdly-licened QT, rather than the
LGPL'ed GTK+, used as the default DE? A number of very popular Linux
applications, such as Inkscape, Scribus, Kino and RealPlayer,
including the upcoming Acrobat 7 and VMWare 5 which we won't get on
PPC. Some of these apps, the first three in particular, are virtually
the only ones decent ons in their field. And this is still ignoring
the GIMP...

Now, I have to admit that if it comes down to the desktop holy wars,
I'm a GNOME fan -but YDL already heavily uses GTK+ and has got
homogenised desktop looks - so why can't they just jump?

</rant>

Cian