How disable 4.0's GUI boot?

Greg Hamilton gregh at object-craft.com.au
Thu Feb 24 18:42:10 MST 2005

OpenFirmware doesn't use a boot block/sector, it uses boot partitions.
For a Linux only installation you'd have at least three partitions. A
boot partition, a swap partition and a root partition. When you run ybin
it writes boot code to the boot partition *and* updates the PRAM default
boot partition value so that OF knows to boot from your yaboot boot
partition.

If you have OS X installed too then I'm fairly sure that you'll have two
more partitions - an OS X boot partition and your main OS X partition.
(No swap partition because OS X uses a swap file). It's possible that
the main OS X partition acts as it's own boot partition - I don't have
my iBook handy to check.

If you want to you can select which OS to boot by entering OpenFirmware
at startup (cmd-alt-o-f, I think) and manually selecting a boot
partition. Or you can hold 'alt/option' at startup to enter a simple
graphical boot partition selector.

Fortunately yaboot lets you specify where all your installed OSs live
and lets you select which one you want to boot using a menu which is
loaded from the yaboot boot partition. This means you always boot from
the yaboot boot partition, other than on the odd ocassion when OS X
decides to change the OF boot partition default (sometimes happens
during software update) in which case you use OF to bypass OS X, boot
Linux and run ybin to restore the PRAM setting.

You could read all about it here:
http://www.openfirmware.org/

Or sing along to the OpenFirmware song:
http://www.openfirmware.org/1275/misc/ofwsong.au