Question on OSX and YDL on a PB

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Sat Feb 26 03:20:17 MST 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

> A single home directory for both YDL and OSX is a very bad idea for
> several reasons, including but not limited to the following: Linux does
> not work properly with case-insensitive filesystems, while OSX does not
> work properly with case-sensitive filesystems. In your .bashrc, you
> probably want different PATH and other env vars for the two systems.

The "hidden" feature of HFS+ in panther is a case sensitive file system
(it was journalling in jaguar).  man newfs_hfs and check the -s
parameter.  of course it's nowhere near as easy to turn on/off as
journalling was last time.  Don't forget, HFS+ has always previously
defaulted to being case-insensitive but *case-preserving*.  I have not
had any problem at all with file clobbering since the dreaded HEAD head
collision when upgrading to Perl 5.8 which was amply documented, iirc.

	For the second reason you offer, a little sh scripting can go a long
way

if [ $OSTYPE = "darwin7.0" ] ; then
         . /sw/bin/init.sh
   		export PATH="$PATH:/etc"
else
	#set linux env
fi

No, the only problems I've had working with my ext and hfs+ partitions
mounted both ways is the unbearably long startup time for OS X while
it's fscking the disk.  It does it every time I reboot now.
Tangentially, does anyone have a clue how to get the disk to stop
"waiting on local disk?"  I suspect some magic block is not being
properly set on shutdown.

Jurvis LaSalle