YDL install problems on a B&W G3

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Feb 27 15:49:39 MST 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 05:36:52PM -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Anyway, you're using a "rev A" iCrap <ahem, sorry> iMac. They are the
> lowest of the low on the totem pole of quality computers. They're not
> a lemon per-se but they're in the same leage as Dell for "quality"
> <ahem>. Chances are you were running into one or both of two problems:
> 1. you burned the CDs on cheap media/too fast; and/or
> 2. the CD-ROMs on the iMac Rev As were failing.

I've had similar problems with all sorts of Macs made about that time.
The keys to success (at least for me) for buring CDs are:

If you are going to read it on a CD drive, burn the CD no faster than
the read speed.

If you are going to read it on a DVD drive (like a Pismo, etc) burn it on
a DVD burner at DVD speed 4x (equal to CD 16x).

Just about everything I have tried, if it can read burned CD's at all,
read ones burnt at 12x on my old HP 12x SCSI drive. I have also had good
luck using an HP 8x SCSI drive.

Geoff.

IL Voice: 972-2-679-6896  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoIP (Email to schedule) Free World Dialup: 523178  Skype: gsmendelson