Griffin iMic with YDL 401?/iMic "HOWTO"

John M. Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Sun Feb 27 20:34:57 MST 2005

With regard to using USB sound devices, and the recently
posted YDL "How to configure audio with an iMic (or similar
device)" on the YDL4.0.1 solutions pages...

On  Sun, 20 Feb 2005  Owen Stampflee typed:

 > Yes, that howto should have never gone live... I didnt post it although
 > I did write it. It was taken out of context.
 >
 > I have tested sound recording with the iMic, but try to remove
 > snd-powermac from /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting so it's just using
 > the iMic and I'm gonna guess you'll have better success that way.

And yes, this works.  I found that just modprobe -r'ing the
snd_powrmac module, wothout re-booting, was sufficient to get
the iMic to work.  I have now discovered further that even
removing the module isn't necessary; at least with audacity,
you can leave all sound modules in place and go back and forth
between the internal sound (powerman snapper, in my case) and
the USB device by running alsamixer with the -c flag (alsamixer -c 1)
to enable the iMic, then again without the -c flag to go back
to the internal sound device.

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright at ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049