YDL 4 and BW G3

Mark mark.walker at cox.net
Wed Feb 23 20:54:42 MST 2005

Situation: B & W G3 (rev 2) with 1 GB RAM, 350MHz G3 processor
(original), one 60 GB WD600 HDD (master) and one 40 GB WD400 HDD
(slave), Sony cdrw, SIIG ATA 133 pci card, stock ATI Rage graphics
card.  OS 9.2.2 installed on the slave drive.  The master drive is
formatted Mac OS Extended with nothing on it.
The plan is to install YDL 4 on the master and dual boot.  This will go
to the kids, as I now have a G5 iMac.

Problem:  I cannot boot the install disk (downloaded and burned on my
iMac and another on a Windows XP box) when I hold the "c" key upon
boot.  It will not boot from the Open Firmware prompt with "boot
cd:,\\yaboot" command.  I get the response cannot open cd.  I also get
that message using YDL 2.3 disk and Mac OS 9 disk, when trying to boot
from OF.  In fact I can rarely get it to boot from the OS 9 install cd.
  It will not go the the OF prompt with ctrl, opt, o, f key combination.
  I had to install System Disk 2.3.1 from Apple in order to get to the
OF prompt.  I've reset the nvram, both with cmd, opt, o, p key
combination and with reset-nvram and reset-all in OF.
Before I'm told the disk wasn't burned properly, it will boot on my
iMac.  I also could not boot a YDL 2.3 production disk from Terrasoft.
The strangest part is that I installed YDL 2.3 on the same G3 machine a
few years ago, but did not have the SIIG Card and only had a 9 GB HHD.
I did switch back to the IDE on the motherboard to with no change also.
  I can boot to a Darwin 7.x.x install disk and successfully install it.
  Which is my fall back option if I cannot get YDL installed.
Will appreciate any help.

Mark