Mac-on-Linux?

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Fri Feb 25 02:46:29 MST 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 18:53, Joshua Wehner wrote:
> I'm so confused... Why is it scanning my partitions? Why is linux
> mounted a bad thing? What does it want and how do I give it?
>
> Oy, I sound desperate. :)

If a partition is already mounted under linux, MOL will not mount it with
read/write permissions.

This is a basic safety precaution, to prevent accidental data loss. Linux and
MacOS(X) inside mol, are not aware of each other (remember, MOL creates sort
of a virtual computer for MacOS to run on). If both linux and mol try to
write to the same partition at the same time, there is a risk that they write
to the same free blocks, and overwrite each others changes. For this reason,
you can't mount a partition rw under mol, if it is already mounted under
linux rw.

So if you want partition /dev/hdb5 under mol to have rw permissions, you'll
have to unmount it under linux. But if I followed the thread
correctly, /dev/hdb5 is your home partition.

So the actual question is, why do you want to mount this partition rw ? I
suppose to share data between the OS es ? For this you have several options.
To find the one that suits you most, you really should see the linux side and
the MacOS side as two different computers, linked via a local area network.
Which mechanisms could you use to share data between different computers in a
network ?

- send it over via e-mail
- set up an ftp server on one or the other machine
- use a network file sharing protocol such as NFS, AppleShare, Samba,...

Depending on whether you use MacOS 9.x or Mac OS X, some or all of the above
can be used.

Personally, for Mac OS 9.x, I would set up an appletalk server on the linux
side (search for netatalk, or atalk via google), and set a specific directory
in linux as a shared directory. You can do the same on the MacOS side.

For Mac OS X, I would probably try my luck with NFS.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Geert Jan
(Who is currently without a Mac, as his 8years old beige G3 died last week...)