Upgrade Policy?

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:43:06 MST 2005

> You aren't alone.  I can't see how they justify it either.
> Personally I think bug fixes (like this 4.01 release)
> should be free to all.

Exactly. On any UNIX, security is a big issue, and on Linux in
particular, stability is. And on PPC, hardware support improves
constantly, and denying some paying customers updates for 2-4 weeks
when it'd support their sound/sleep/fans/whatver is not good.

> Furthermore I've heard comments concerning things like Firefox
> are headed that way too.  Can you imagine a linux distro that
> charges for Firefox?

Not heard this suggestion, yet at least...

> Now - please note - I am not currently supporting YDL monetarily,
> and I'm still using 3.01.  That's why I've said nothing previously.
> On the other hand, I will most likely decide to change distros when
> I decide to upgrade, mainly based on YDL's current policies.
>
> Maybe it's time everybody who does hold this opinion speaks up.
> Perhaps Terrasoft just isn't aware how some of us feel.

I bought YDL4 twice. Now Owen did say that he'd try to get the 4.01
update packages onto generic YDL.net for those of us with free basic
YDL.net from spending more than $60 in one go. However, I've not
bothered getting YDL.net and I'm not sure how to get it now, despite
spending I think $90.

I'm not changing distros, at least not anytime in the near future. But
I may download 5.0 or whatever the next release is off HEANet
instead..

Cian