SSH access to machine behind router

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Feb 28 13:56:47 MST 2005

> Can I SSH to a machine that is "behind" a router?
>
> At home I have several machines (YDL, Linux, and Mac OS X) that get
> their IP addresses from a wireless router. The "external" IP
> address (of
> the router itself?) is something like "66.xxx.xxx.123". Each
> computer on
> my mini-network then receives a "local" IP address from the router:
> 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. In setting up the router, I
> made sure to
> leave port 22 open (I think :-) ).
>
> If I know the IP address of the router, is there any way to
> use ssh to
> access one of the individual machines (say, 192.168.0.2)? Would it be
> anything like "ssh clint at 192.168.0.2@66.xxx.xxx.123"?

This is exactly the same setup I have at home, Clint. But as Matt states,
you need to configure your router to forward port 22 to at least one machine
on the inside.

In my setup, my fw/router accepts SSH but forwards it to my Linux box. I can
then get to any of the other machines on the inside from there. I typically
port forward VNC or something so I can run my desktop at home from my
machine at work.