mySQL and phpbb

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:42:39 MST 2005

goto mysql.com, search the document database on how to set your root
mysql password, follow those instructions to set your root password
for mysql (is blank by default)...then I recommend following this
tutorial: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/webmin.shtml
to install webmin (free), use webmin to setup mysql dbs and users for
the dbs

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:37:35 -0500, Zach Shuford <zshuford at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me start out by saying that I know almost nothing about Linux,
> though I'm learning quick.  So bear that in mind.  I've set up an old
> indigo space egg iMac with Yellow Dog Linux, and I'm wanting to set it
> up to host forums. Now, I've got Apache running, and I've got mySQL
> installed, and I've got phpbb in the right place.
>
> So, if you're familiar with phpbb, you know that the first time you go
> to the website, it does a little "install" thing.
>
> So I'm seeing the php website.  And that's a good start... but when I
> try to set up my options, I get the following error:
>
> phpBB : Critical Error
>
> Could not connect to the database
>
> Now, there's a fairly obvious reason why.  Because there are fields for:
>
> Database Server Hostname / DSN:
> Your Database Name:
> Database Username:
> Database Password:
>
> I don't know any of this.  Or how to find out.  I'm begining to
> suspect that even though I installed all the mySQL bits, it's not
> turned on or something.... can anyone give me a hand?
> --
> There was a human being who was born, lived, and then, by some means
> or another, died. There. You may fill in the details from your own
> experience. As unoriginal as any other tale, as unique as any other
> life.
>
> - Neil Gaiman, American Gods

my website: http://www.johnscompany.net, premium hosting and much much
more coming soon so check back often...the topsites and guestbook is
back! check out johnscompany.net for more info