Duplication of OSD's for volume/brightness controls

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:54:46 MST 2005

On mt iBook G4, the volume/brightness hotkeys work, and bring up the
same OSD they do in OSX (obviously its in hardware). However, there's
what appears to be a GTK+ window with the same function appearing
behind this. Is this part of some application running, or does the
hotkeys subsystem (ppbuttonsd) do it as part of its operation. In
either case, can it be disabled?

I'm also mystified as to why mouse button emulation has stopped
working for me - its still enabled in the kernel, still appears at
boot time, doesn't seem to be disabled anywhere. I did edit the
XF86Config, but only to enable DRI, I don't remember editing anything
then.

And another thing - anyone any idea why VLC 0.81 on YDL (compiled from
Videolan's FC3 src rpms) would drop the video stream any time I choose
a deinterlacer  from the video options menu?

Cian