Sleeping eMac?

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Tue Jan 4 11:21:27 MST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 6:52 am, a monkey wrote:
> How can I get my eMac to "sleep" like in the old Mac OS X days? You
> know, have the monitor and fan shut off, etc. I want to leave my eMac on
> all night, but I'm not willing to waste so much power. If I could get my
> eMac to "sleep", it would be very helpful to me.

This is not a permanent solution, but if you're in the Northern Hemisphere and
heating with electricity, you're not saving ANY power by having your computer
go to sleep.  At least not during the heating season.

Every watt of electricity consumed produces 3.2 BTUs of heat energy,
regardless of how it was used:  light bulbs, motors, refrigerators, or space
heat.  Doesn't matter.  Every watt consumed produces 3.2 BTUs, and (as long
as it's consumed there) this heat ends up in your living space.

So all of the power used by your computer will be exactly offset by the
reduced power NOT used by your heating system to put the exact same amount of
heat into your living space.

Of course, if it's summer where you are, none of this helps.  And if you're
heating with something other than electricity, then you have to calculate the
cost per BTU of electricity vs. whatever you're heating with to see what the
tradeoffs are.

So there are many places where this doesn't apply.  But for zillions of people
around the world, the idea that power management saves energy is a sham -- at
least for about half of the year.

Ken