Arts problems?

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:46:28 MST 2005

After much compiling and scrambling to find suitable srpms (and in a
few case finding compiled Fedora PPC RPM's), I managed to get VLC 0.81
on YDL4. However, if xmms is open when I open vlc, I get problems with
two things accessing the soundcard, obviously.

So I tried to use arts. This should in theory stop clashes - it is
meant to act as a mixer, right?

xmms will use arts fine. However, VLC just emits noise, and lots of
it, when arts is selected as the sound output.

I updated arts to the latest stable version for Fedora 3 from KDE's
site, but to no avail - still noise.

I've tried changing what arts uses for sound output (OSS/ALSA),
nothing doing there either

Is there something inherently faulty with arts on Linux PPC?

Cian