installation on Performa 6400

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 08:55:30 MST 2005

--- Nathan Moore <nmoore at physics.umn.edu> wrote:

> > Don't waste your time with 2.3, unless you can not get 3.0.
> That'll
> > also take care of question 1
> I also have 3.0 disks lying around - will use those next time.
>
> > Yes, you will need a boot partition.
> Is placement on the disk (first 10MB) important?

I've always used the autopartition feature and have never had any
problems as to where it's placed.  Here are some excellent
instructions on partitioning written by Dr. Clinton MacDonald for the
ydl faq:
<http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Installing+YDL/How+should+I+partition+my+disks%3F>

> > Are you planning on keeping mac os around other than for booting
> > BootX.
> No, only need to use it for startup
>
> > How much freespace do you have on the HD?
> Drive is 1.6GB, 80MB ram, figure 150MB for swap, 200 MB for OS 8.5,

That will work, but if you can find a bigger hard drive laying around
I would go for it.

> rest for linux native
> > Are you trying to use the video installer?
> Nope, I enjoy the speed of the text installer too
>
> Thanks,
>
> NT

No problem NQ