OT: Best blogging software?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 7 12:51:10 MST 2005

Dr. Sacco:

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Check out ZOPE
>
>   http://www.zope.org
>
>[...]
>
> ZOPE can be made to do everything you asked and more. ZOPE
> runs "out of the box" on most platforms. [...]

Thanks! I will look into Zope.

Initially, though, I may use a commercial site that does all the backed
for me. I have been discussing this with my lab folks, and they have
suggested some sites/hosting services that may work for the short term.

> I take it that you are in an academic environment. If so, you should
> give consideration to hosting your own site. There are many connectivity
> options ranging from your own broadband connection, to being a node on
> the university grid, to co-locating a server at another site. If you opt
> for being a node on the university grid and and do not want the
> university's name in your URL, you register your own domain name and get
> the university to act as your SOA.

You must work at a more enlightened university than my own! :-)
Seriously though, our IT department is quite tight about what they let
in and out of our firewalls -- and rightly so. Being a teaching
hospital, we have the additional burden of patient confidentiality to
consider. I don't think I will get much help from them, nor do I think
it would be appropriate in this case.

> Beyond connectivity to the world, the next major consideration is
> *security*. Modern linux systems can be made a secure as you wish them
> to be. You will get to learn more about setting up firewalls and DMZ's
> than you probably want to know.

Noooooo!!!!! I don't *want* to have to learn anything more about
firewalls and DMZs and so on! My brain is full! Aaaagh! :-)

Thanks for the pointers. I will let everyone know what I decide to use.

Best wishes,
Clint