SATA drives on G4 // disk controllers

Murias linux at dragonsblood.net
Thu Jan 13 01:03:04 MST 2005

Hi,
I once used the SIIG SATA controller avail from OWC (macsales.com) in a
B&W G3.  It worked like a charm under both 9.2 and X.  I cannot tell
you about its usefulness under YDL though.  But today at MacWorld I did
check with the techies there at the OWC booth.  The reason why it
worked so beautifully under 9 and X was for the fact it uses the same
chipset that Apple uses in their machines.  Maybe this is also the key
under YDL.  I am not sure if the chipset of the Sonnet card is the
same.  I know that OWC does not sell the Sonnet controller, and that
they trty to sell things with minimum fuss on the Mac, usually meaning
the same chipsets.  Some of the techies at OWC are at least slightly
versed in YDL.  I remember asking them last year if teh SIIG card would
work under YDL, and they told me it should, just do not try to boot off
of it.  I can ask them again tomorrow when I go back to find out for
sure.  As I know that the people in the know are at the show.  I can
also talk to Sonnet for ya and see if they say it is the same chipset
or not.

Hope something in this might be of some help.

Peace
Murias