partition resizing

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Jan 14 10:23:54 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 10:18, Andrea wrote:

> >"Yet to have" = not had data loss.
> >

> >Unusual English phrasing. He's not lost any data.
> >

> Sorry for my english: i'm not so used to write in english, neither to talk,
> so I'm not so good... sorry for my misunderstanding, but I'm
> trying to get better.
> a.

Andrea:

Mastery of any language, let alone multiple languages, is the work of
easily several lifetimes let alone one.  Tolerance of errors as a result
of efforts to express oneself in anyone of them is also a developing Art
which not many have achieved.  It is too easy to appear skilled when the
little and dirty little fact and truth is that most persons born in the
US have the comprehension of English no greater than 4th-6th grade
level. The NY Times which has been criticized often for being elitist
keeps it's level of English writing to that standard.  Indeed, maybe 2
or 3 journals, including the scientific journals, are writing truly at
college level English or higher.

You're achievements are clearly above the level of any critic you may
come across.  Consider them, your critics, in the reverse and you'll see
that they could not even find a manner to express themselves in a
language even similar to your own, let alone in any grade level in your
native tongue.

Now a clarification.  All modern languages are moving towards expressing
events, experiences and technologies in greater accuracy with more or
less equivalent (or as useless or meaningless) success -- depending upon
one's philosophical views.  Keeping in sync with each other however is
not as easy as the human experience across the planet is extremely
varied.  Even so some things can be identified in common.

The phrase "Yet to have" does not precisely indicate "not had data
loss"; rather the phrase actually approaches the meaning of another
phrase "Up until this moment" or "Until now".  In Spanish which is very
close to Italian,the equivalent phrase would be, "Hasta este punto en
tiempo" or "Hasta ahora".

However, the actual written statement was:
"Have yet to suffer a data loss but as always if you have data you
can't afford to lose back up!"

This statement, the source of this discussion is the acceptable English,
understood by many, not the precise English required in discussing
technical or scientific work.  English as taught in University tends to
be the more correct and precise style; it is not your poor understanding
of English but rather that you understand English well and when you read
what was actually written there was no other potential but to be
confused.  I'm not going to rewrite his English but convey in Spanish
what should have been stated leaving it to you to intuit from Spanish
the conjugations into Italian as they are very very close in formal
useage.

"Hasta ahora no he sufrido el perdido de data pero como siempre si usted
tienes data que no puedes perder, debes agrabar o archivar (su data
primero antes de hacer qualquiera cosa)."

Amici Tuo Derick
PAX