Install 4.0 on 3.0

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Jan 14 12:19:43 MST 2005

Someone posted this immediately after 4.0 came out:
<http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html>
Some adjustments have to be made to that page, though. Step 1 is obsolete;
you now simply replace your /etc/yum.conf file with the one at
<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-December/017330.html>
and do a "yum clean all" before continuing with Step 2. Step 5 no longer
applies because yum will now install a nearly universal kernel, which you
will immediately want to put in your /etc/yaboot.conf and issue a
"/sbin/ybin -v" command. If you are using BootX, instead copy the kernel
from /boot to your Linux Kernels folder, and also copy the matching
initrd-(version).img, which you will need for the Use Ramdisk option which
must now be ON. Set the Additional Kernel Arguments to "rhgb quiet" and
save preferences. After booting the new kernel, continue with Step 6.