USB Ethernet adapter

Heath Henderson hendersonh at unit5.org
Sun Jan 16 11:36:51 MST 2005

We use a Shuttle for this same option.  Add 1 extra PCI nic and it
already has onboard.  We use IPCOP and boom.  No DMZ, but point to point
Firewall pluss filtering and VPN makes for a good marriage.

Check it out.  Linux runs great on it.  about 500bucks for a bones
system also.

Heath Henderson
Assistant Technology Administrator
McLean County Unit 5 Schools
Normal, IL 61761

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 05:36, Andreas Hucks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are currently looking to buy a small box as a router/firewall/VPN
> gateway for our small office (4 computers). We have been looking into
> miniITX solutions, but the new Mac Mini seems to be the best option
for
> speed, price, and size. It only lacks a second ethernet port

> Any other comments why this might be a good or a bad idea are of
course
> welcome as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

If you are looking to use YDL remember that you don't really want to go
too far back as far as using older G4 or even G3 systems because there
are unique hardware details to attend to.  In short, you may save cash
yes, but time tweaking an older "Old World" or even old "New World"
system may cost you time better spent just getting the mini in the first
place.

One way around this maze is to consult with Other World Computing
(www.macsales.com) they sell all kinds of stuff but also they sell
hardware which will run on Linux, and that does mean YDL also.  However,
they do not support the Linux OS itself!  Usually whatever Linux runs
YDL will run also, unless the binaries are coded for x86 and unless
there is no source for PPC.  Whatever I've gotten from OWC has always
worked not only with MacOS but every incarnation of YDL I've had back
all the way to Champion Server 1.0 (TerraSoft's first Linux offering).
True I've modified my kernel quite a bit, but hey that's what Linux is
all about anyway.  Flexibility!

Best wishes....