User-Mode Linux for Apple PowerPC G5

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Jan 17 09:12:58 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 11:08, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Derick:
>
> Derick Centeno wrote:
> > Refer to this link for your answer; it is very clear. It
> > is not even worth it for me to repeat what it says. It's
> > pretty interesting as a concept though.
> >
> > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> Aha! "User-mode Linux" is a Linux virtual machine that is useful for
> testing flaky or untrusted programs (of course, I always thought that
> *regular* Linux was designed to be strong enough to withstand flaky and
> untrusted code).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

This is exactly what is so enticing AND confusing.  Linux is strong
enough to take abuse, and now someone has created a space within Linux
where the abuse can occur safely?

Gee...aren't there tons of stuff to do as opposed to strengthening or
expanding a feature into a seperate application which Linux does already
well?