ipod

justinw.5607516 at bloglines.com justinw.5607516 at bloglines.com
Wed Jan 19 07:32:27 MST 2005

Could anyone point me to information on how iTunes structures the music files
that will be played on the iPod?  I want to dump music on there in Linux,
but as far as I know, I can't just drop the files anywhere I want.

(this
is regarding the Shuffle in particular, it simply shows up as a USB Mass Storage
device, no problem to mount)

--- Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion
List <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
On 1/15/05 7:37
PM, "Bill Mueller" <bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

I _think_ nothing will work for the music player part, since they rely

>> pretty heavily on Apple's iTunes software; and obviously that doesn't exist

> >> under Linux.
> >
> > Gtkpod works similar to iPod support in iTunes:
 Adding Playlists, loading
> > files, etc..
> > Probably should post an
rpm...  Until then:

> > http://gtkpod.sourceforge.net
>
> I did'nt
know that gtkpod existed, but I thought that it might have.
> However, it
was always my understanding that you couldn't use the iPod (the
> music part,
not as a disk) under Windows with iTunes.  But I really don't
> know.
>

> >> However, I do _think_ that they work as removable storage under Linux.
> >> thought I've heard of an iPod working just like a removable FireWire
drive,

> > You can also install and boot YDL4 from your iPod.  A howto
is here:
> > http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_4.0/ipod.shtml

> Oh yes, now I remember this page.
> >
> > -Bill

> > HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

> --
> Andrew Zschetzsche
> University of Minnesota, Morris
> zsche004
at mrs.umn.edu
> aim: zsche004
> msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu
>
> America's
Best Public Liberal Arts College.

> --The best answer to a problem with
multiple solutions is often the simplest