Apple's iWork Pages: OpenOffice.org format?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 22:10:57 MST 2005

Friends:

I just received and installed my copy of Apple's recently announced
iWork suite which contains Keynote (Apple's PowerPoint killer -- which I
love) and Pages, a brand-new word processing application. Well, it seems
that the Pages file format is a gzipped XML file ("index.xml.gz"). Isn't
that the same format used by OpenOffice.org?

Also, when examining the "About Pages" box, there is an Acknowledgments
button... which opens to a GNU Library General Public License ("Free
Software Foundation – (libiconv) Copyright (C) 1991 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.").

Way to go, Apple!

Best wishes,
Clint