No Ethernet on YDL 4.0

Lewis Coleman Coleman at tscnet.com
Tue Jan 25 11:54:43 MST 2005

Part 1.
My wireless card (orinoco_cs hermes) doesn't work!  (also my tulip
ethernet).  It used to.  Maybe what I did in Part 2 was the problem?
The computer says "No eth1"  or something like that.  (Also "no eth0")
Let me explain how I work--sort of like the monkeys that wrote
Shakespeare:  Even though I don't know what I am doing, I try
EVERYTHING!  (it works usually!) So I tried depmod, modprobe, ifconfig,
iwconfig, netstat (I don't know what good that did!) and more.
Also when I run system-config-network and save the results--the next
time I run it, it has changed!  (Some other system-config programs
might not work correctly, either.)

Part 2.  (May not be related to Part 1)
Just for fun--what have I done:
I have an Old World Mac (Powerbook 3400) running YDL 4.0.  I use BootX,
of course.  OK.  So I put in the YDL 4.0 Install #1 disk and run BootX
from OS 9.1.  I use the YDL 3.0 boot up kernel and ram disk, but I put
init=5 (or 3 or S) in the additional kernel parameters.  The CD Drive
makes noises like it is booting up.  Then I do the Control-Option 2
thing and get a command line prompt!  I can see the cdrom and ??.  I
type /sbin/continue.  I "Control-Option 7" back and get what looks like
the system-config-network-tui program! (Not that is does anything!! ) I
believe the Control-Option 1 window displays something also.  I throw
my laptop violently to the ground to turn it off (Not really, but you
get the picture!)

Now don't spoil my fun by asking "Why?!!"  Just tell me what was
happening!  (And "don't try this at home!")

And where can I find a list of the "additional kernel parameters"
parameters?

             Lewis S Coleman