Ever Increasing Fan Speed and Dual G5 2 gig machine under YDL 4.0

Kevin B.Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 30 09:34:02 MST 2005

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your help.

 >> Is this a known problem?  Is there a new kernel or new install
 >> images that have a kernel that properly controls the fan speed
 >> on this model?

 > The solution is to yum update, and then edit your /etc/yaboot.conf,
 > and run ybin.

Okay, I have done that and upgraded to the 2.6.9-1.8g5.smp kernel.

It was a huge improvement!!!  Thanks!

BTW: I receive the following error messages during boot:

PCI:  Cannot allocate resource region 2 of PCI bridge 1
PCI:  Cannot allocate resource region 2 of PCI bridge 5

agpgart: Unsupported Apple chipset (device id: 0059)

macserial: can't request IO resource !

Anything here to worry about?  I chose the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card
over the NVidea card in the hopes there would be some accelerated 3D
support but I guess it is not supported yet.

Overall the system seems to be functioning well until I attempt to
shutdown the machine.
When I shutdown ... a whole sequence of machine check backtraces fly by
the screen very quickly.
The backtrace seems to always include the gem_link_timer function which
I guess is in the gem network card driver.

Perhaps the gem driver uses some sort of packet/buffer timer that needs
to be reset somehow before the ethernet device can be properly
shutdown?  Has anyone else reported this?  It does not seem to happen
with the 2.6.8 kernel, just newer 2.6.9 kernel.  Perhaps a late change
to the gem driver was made or some debug messages were left in?

Has anyone else using the 2.6.9 kernel reported this issue?  Is Ben
still the owner/author of the gem network driver?
Are there any newer kernel anyplace that I could try just to see if
that clears up the problem?  I would be happy to build my own if that
would help.

Thanks again for all of your help.  Having a nice quiet machine is much
more pleasant!

Thanks,

Kevin