How to create RAM disk?

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jul 11 15:21:35 MDT 2005

Easiest way to do it is to dd some free space into /dev/ramX and mount
it as a loop device.

Might have the syntax a bit off, but something like this should work for a
64Meg ramdisk:

   dd if=/dev/ram0 of=/dev/zero bs=1k count=64k
   mkfs.ext3 /dev/ram0
   mkdir /mnt/my_ramdisk
   mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/my_ramdisk -o loop

Google might help too, but this should get you started.

-Bill