yum upgrade hangs (corrected version)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 01:30:43 MDT 2005

Hi Spundun:
It appears now you've entered a different kind of scenario where you
have to share a bit more information as to what kind of hardware you
actually have.
The general assumption is that OS X is running on either a New World
G4/G5 processor which is on the motherboard.  Some have gotten YDL to
run on Old World machines using G3s, but these systems require BootX
(which isn't available with YDL 4, because TSS doesn't provide or
support BootX from YDL 4 forward) using particular settings within
BootX to access YDL 4 and so on.  You describe having or maintaining a
YDL 2 partition, suggesting to me that you have an older G3, not a G4
or G5.  I had heard a few people running OS X on a G3, maybe you could
be one of them but now the issue becomes a bit weird because if your
system is New World then you have to modify yaboot.conf to access the
YDL 2 partition and the YDL 4 partition (upon your whim).  As far as I
have read yaboot.conf is optimized to access one partition at a time.
This means either YDL 2 or YDL 4.

I have not heard of someone using 2 different yaboot.conf to access
each different partition.  That doesn't mean it isn't possible, I just
haven't heard of it and I've been participating on these lists for a
while.  However, I'm not an engineering whiz so... who is to say what
can or cannot be done.

BootX runs from Mac OS 9 and earlier and when it functions appears as a
dialog box before the Mac boots up giving you the option to choose
which kernel you want to boot into.  Oddly enough BootX CAN boot into
multiple and different YDL kernels on a whim, when they exist in their
own partitions.  WHY someone would keep these older partitions is a
matter of choice as those older partitions are susceptible to security
vulnerabilities and other problems (which is why most people move up
(copy essential files, not applications) and abandon those older
versions); of course, one could be attached to a favorite program or
some endeared feature which is not supported any more because the
programming team passed away.  In any event, the issue now is, your
hardware.   A re-evaluation by you of what you are using YDL 2 for
might be prudent as well as a consideration to move whatever you are
doing in YDL 2 to YDL 4.

The question is the hardware and what are the specifics of the
partition structure of your drive.  The partition structure can and
will change according to whatever you choose to do.

Until more information is available from you; it would take a bit of a
mystic to suggest anything else, and probably not a good mystic at
that.

Anyway, the information here should be enough to at least help you
consider where you stand.  You can also reference the TSS website
regarding what they are supporting.

Best wishes...