Powermac G4 randomly shutting down

Jackson Jones pseudonymm3 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 17:00:36 MDT 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about overheating. I know
Apple has some weird cooling parameters for its machines and it is
possible that Linux may not have that stuff completely covered
(considering Apple is not the most open of companies). The random
shutdowns seemed to happen more frequently with the newer YDL-2.6.12.2
kernel on www.ppckernel.org/specialized.php, so I reverted back to the
stock 2.6.10-1.

I work in a very good environment for computers. It is well cooled and
not humid. The power is fine. The same configuration runs on a 12"
Powerbook without any random shutdown issues.

The Display has trouble waking up, so I keep it on (KDE -> Control
Center->Periphnerals->Display set it to never and save). I also have an
Apple version of a Radeon 8500, is that card better supported than the
Geforce 2 MX that came with the machine?

Thanks,

Jackson