When bad things happen to good Mac's [OT]

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 20 13:47:23 MDT 2005

Dr. Sacco:

That's a nice story with a happy ending (fortunately).

Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:
> Had an OS X 10.3.9 disaster the other day. OS X was no longer
> able to boot.
> [...]
> (4) purchase copy of "Disk Warrior" 3.0.3.
>
> (5) run Disk Warrior.
>
> ==> all is  well once more.

I have heard or read dozens and dozens of anecdotal stories in which
DiskWarrior saved someone's bacon. In fact, I have heard so many
stories, that I have never had an instance of needing DiskWarrior: I run
"fsck -fy" (or Apple's Disk Utility) followed by DiskWarrior on all my
Macs about once a month as a preventative maintenance measure.

(For what it is worth, versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.3 used to report
multiple errors with fsck *and* DiskWarrior on every run, even after
just a few days. With more recent versions of Mac OS X, these errors are
increasingly rare.)

Good luck with your computing, both Mac OS and Linux!

Best wishes,
Clint