When bad things happen to good Mac's [OT]

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:45:50 MDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:

> - update the OS to 10.4 and hope that the update process magically
> "fixes" things:
>         * deem highly unlikely
>         * MAC does not have a DVD drive.
>         DVD is the only media format shipped by Apple.
>         If you want OSX 10.4 on CD's, you need to send Apple $10, *and*
>         the purchased OS X 10.4 DVD, and a proof of purchase coupon.
>         [Apple is not very trusting, eh???]

Don't know if this an option for you, but it worked for me.  You can
boot a Mac with a DVD drive into Target disk mode and use the internal
DVD drive to install onto the DVD drive-less Mac by holding down option
at boot.  My PB has been invaluable as a $2000US FW hard drive and
dvd/cd drive.  Now if only there were a target display mode and target
USB keyboard/mouse mode, it would really be an invaluable tool in the
field (not that it hasn't saved my ass repeatedly).

hth,
JL