When bad things happen to good Mac's [OT]

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 15:18:58 MDT 2005

Why isn't anyone screaming sacrilege?  No one wants to play Torquemada?

Perhaps it's because by switching to Intel, in one move, Apple made
what is or had been this occasionally hot-popping niche list become not
even a soon-to-be microniche list?
I really can't say that I feel exuberant anticipating Genesi to replace
my Powerbook when I'm looking for an upgrade.

Regarding your other issues, I would have used Micromat's Techtools
product; much better than DiskWarrior with more features AND a
partitioned emergency disk which is at the ready far faster than any CD
based utility.  Those fellows THINK; yes they do.

One other thing that can be said, is that regardless of one's choice of
utilities now; in several months those utilities should be chock full
of new stuff due to the switch to Intel.  There was always more "stuff"
on that side of the universe, and now the potential is we get to have
it too which from a truly open source perspective means switching to
Red Hat.  I wonder if the YDL FAQ pages will acknowledge this with
opening a section for Red Hat users running on Intel based Macs.  Red
Hat and YDL are of similar trees; shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding what was said about Apple, I'll express my views this way.
With iMovie and iTunes and a few items from Radio Shack which ran not
more than $20 altogether I found that I can restore my music collection
from cassettes, records (78s, 33s and 45s) and preserve them on audio
CDs!  What is really weird is that I know a fellow who sells PC
software to do this, but he can't beat Apples giveaway (in iTunes and
iMovie).  I didn't even realize that I was asking him to consider
making his product available for OS X when it runs on Intel, whereas I
can do the same thing for chump change on what Apple has provided for
me now!  I will probably still buy the record player he sells though,
as I have none.  There is also how Apple implemented Goom and the xine
engine into iTunes (which is what the visualizer in effect is), that
was a beautiful piece of work!  So for me, there are lots of reasons to
use OS X, their mine -- not Apple's nor perhaps even what Apple
considered.

As for the rest, I'm holding out for Apple's tri-corder.

Best wishes....