Disk names

Charles Trois charles.trois at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 2 09:12:33 MDT 2005

Thanks to all who took an interest in this minor subject. Things look
clear now.

Bill Fink is right: "pdisk -l" in Linux gives the list of all partitions
on mounted disks; but it does not work in OSX. It seems that "-l" is not
a valid option here, so that pdisk returns its help panel, the same
panel that shows if asked for by "pdisk -h".

In MacOSX, one gets this list by "diskutil list", but the names are
mac-style: /dev/disk0, dev/disk1... and cannot be used as references in
Linux.

"df" works in both cases and lists the mounted partitions.

I must admit that I have been disappointed in my hope to find a rational
method to get the name of an unmounted disk, and I now don't see any way
to do it but by guessing.

Charles