[OT] really?

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Jun 7 09:48:18 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 15:20, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Cian Duffy <myob87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It appears Apple will sell machines that are capable of running x86
> > Windows, and I guess Linux/BeOS/BSD/Whatever; but OSX will run only on
> > those Apple machines, using a seperate boot system to the IA32 BIOS.
> > Jobs mentioned letting people use Windows in a dualboot if the wanted
> > to, and said that it would never run on commodity boxes.
> >
> > Cian
>
> This is certainly the strangest, but most exciting thing that I've
> seen in the Mac world since I started using the Mac 128 before the
> start of time. It's far more profound than the switch from System 6 to
> 7 and from 68K to PPC.
>
> I know this is going to sound strange but Microsoft won't be entirely
> hostile to this move. Even though Windows competes directly with the
> Mac OS, MS would *love* to be able to run Windows on Mac _hardware_.
>
> For us Mac (hardware + OS) users this is a win-win situation. We get
> access to a fast laptop (FINALLY) and we get access to Windows
> software, all in one fell swoop. It does open us up to X86-based
> viruses and exploits, but proper software design will minimise that
> danger -- Linux for Intel has a signficant user base now yet viruses
> and spyware are still virtually unknown.
>
> Plus, what this means is that Apple's future doesn't have to be
> exclusively tied to its hardware. With Apple running on X86 Dell now
> has a much stronger stick with which to beat Microsoft into
> submission, and, if necessary, Apple can become the OS supplier of
> choice for one of the big manufacturers.
>
> Yeah, I know there are Linux lovers who'll claim that Linux can do
> that but, I'm sorry, Linux is neat and full of promise, but KDE and
> GNOME are just not up to the GUI quality offered by Aqua or Luna (and,
> you can be sure that neither Apple nor MS will sit on their kiesters
> doing nothing). Even with the big hardware manufacturers dabbling in
> Linux we haven't seen anything stunning come from their labs GUI-wise.
>
> This is (potentially) the start of a desktop monopoly for Intel (not
> much different from the status quo anyway), but, given that many of
> the Intel patents are expiring or have expired anyone can get in on
> the game, even IBM or Motorola if they want ;-).

Yes! All that!
 I, for one, is perhaps THE BIGGEST MAC HEAD in Quebec ;) I 'should' be
chocked by this news but I take it for what its worth.. Macs are still
alive!!

 With the owner of this mailing-list permission, I would like to share
my Mac-life in full length from my first click up to present time. There
is a lot to say, laugh and cry. Heck, I could easily write a book!
 Shall I?