Video card debugging info (Mach64, Beige G3)- how to turn it off (Beige G3, YDL 4.0.1 and kernel 2.6.10-1)

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Jun 19 12:37:08 MDT 2005

Like I said below, I believe the flag was turned on intentionally, because
it's the only configurable way to make some ioctl calls get handled. While
the Beige G3 isn't officially supported, the Lombard is, and I think the
Lombard probably uses the same video driver. This video driver issue is
likely not new with the 2.6.10 version, but I haven't verified that
because I no longer have very easy access to 2.6.9 kernel sources. If the
offending code is indeed a holdover from 2.6.9 and earlier, using a driver
with the flag turned off, as the YDL 2.6.9 apparently had, would be
ill-advised as you will periodically have weird and unexplainable problems
that may not always be obviously video-related. TerraSoft doesn't even
test on every single supported model. AFAIK, nobody over there has a
Lombard to try YDL4 on. Since it would be unlikely that they would develop
a kernel patch just to support the Lombard, the people who should receive
debugging dumps when needed would be the maintainers of the kernel driver
for ATI Mach64-based video cards.

I'm curious to know what made it seem to you that Ubuntu officially
supports OW. Their website clearly says on the front page: "The current
Ubuntu release supports Intel x86 (IBM-compatible PC), AMD64 (Hammer) and
PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures."
Incidentally, that release also uses a 2.6.10 kernel.