YDL FAQ for Old world Macs

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Mar 2 04:21:40 MST 2005

Hi,

Here's a suggestion for the YDL Faq at sharplabs:
YDL doesn't officially support Old World macs anymore. This does't mean YDL
can't be installed, but if you try it, you're on your own.

I could imagine, someone at the point of trying it, would like as much
information on the topic as possible. So maybe, such a topic could be added
to the YDL faq, quite visible on the front page. This could be a central
place to cover all points where installing on OW differs from installing on
NW, like for example the inability to boot from CD's, the use of BootX,...

There are already some issues with OW Macs that are dealt with in the FAQ, so
maybe they could be referenced from this general topic page.

Another issue to add, would be that of bmac being a module with the latest
kernel.
Solution: add
alias eth0 bmac
to the /etc/modprobe.conf file.
This problem has popped up twice already in the last three days on this
mailing list.

What do you think ?

On a sidenote, my own OW mac died some two weeks ago. I temporarily
transplanted my linux identity including all data stored so far into a PC
running Mandrake 10.1. Quite a strong point for Linux as a multi platform,
hardware independent OS, IMHO.

There's no way to revive the poor old G3. Tried everything from changing RAM,
starting form MacOS BootDisk, even replacing the boot ROM, zapping the PRAM
and any combination of these. I always get a bus error before the OS fully
loads. I believe 8 years of service (and that means heavy duty in this camp),
has put it over the top. But I consider dying of age to be a wonderful end
for a computer. Much better than being dumped :-)
I ordered a Mac Mini as a replacement the very same day. So as soon as it
arrives, I'll be a happy YDL'er again (at least, if YDL installs already on
it).

All this also means though, I'm no longer able to test YDL on OW macs, as I
don't own one anymore. I'll leave that part to other experienced OW mac users
in the future.

Cheers,

Geert Jan