YDL FAQ for Old world Macs

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Mar 2 07:11:09 MST 2005

Well, I know it can be done too... I have personally installed and used YDL
4.0 on my OW mac before it died. The major issue was, that the kernel that
shipped with YDL 4.0 couldn't boot OW macs. There is a newer kernel (2.6.10)
in the yum repository now, that does boot (seeing the reports on this list).
With this kernel, I would imagine installing (not upgrading!) boils down to:

- Put the kernel in the Linux kernels folder in Mac OS
- Put the install image on Mac OS
- Configure BootX to use the above kernel and install image
- Reboot and install.
- Upon next reboot, tell BootX not to use the install image.
- Possibly after boot into YDL, you may need to add
alias eth0 bmac
into /etc/modprobe.conf to get the builtin network controller to work (G3)
- Additional tweaks are needed to get some sound, but they are not OW
specific, but YDL4.0 specific.

Of course, the above is theoretical, I can't verify it anymore. It also deals
with a fresh install. Upgrading is much more difficult, because of deeply
nested dependency issues. (As a sidenote, Suse Linux on x86 has really
figured out how to make this kind of version upgrades childsplay, hats off).

Likely, a YDL 4.01 CD will be much easier to work with, as it comes with the
new kernel already. Maybe if you have some spare time, you could try the
above procedure and see if it's still as complicated as with the original YDL
4.0 ?

Cheers,

Geert Jan