Hot Sync Palm OS device

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Sun Mar 6 19:25:51 MST 2005

Hello,

I'm running YDL 4.0 on a G4 400 Mhz with 512 RAM and have lots of
questions and problems trying to sync my Palm device.

Palm OS device is a Handspring Visor Edge. I have a serial cradle but
the G4 has no serial ports so I am (trying to) use a generic serial/usb
cable to solve the problem. I want to use the Gnome pilot sync but
cannot figure out how to get the PC to see the Palm device.

Gnome Pilot wants a "Port" setting. Default is /dev/pilot There's also a
radio button for "USB" and another for "Serial" as well as IrDA and
Network. I've tried all sorts of combinations, but can't get GPilot to
find the Visor.

In the limited help file there's mention of a link between /dev/pilot
and something else. Can't figure that one out. /dev/pilot does not seem
to exist. Do I create one simply by making a folder /pilot within /dev?

What's the correct path to a USB port? /dev/USBtty#? or /dev/USB/tty# or
something else altogether?

Should I be telling GPilot to look at a serial port, such as /dev/tty0?

I looked for help at a gpilot archive but most posters are dealing with
non PPC distributions of Linux, none that I found relate to YDL.

TIA for any help anyone can offer.

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA

-=-=-
... This is a Tag line Virus::::::Go ahead, copy me.