Hot Sync Palm OS device

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Tue Mar 8 23:28:44 MST 2005

Since I've done this a little while ago, I think I remember it all, and
thus I'll just start from scratch.

I have a USB cradle for my palm, but me thinks that the Serial to USB
thing should just act like a regular USB cradle/cable.  You can try
this, then research it if it fails to work.

First you need to find what tty location your Palm is.  It should be
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 (provide your palm is the only thing that
uses a tty interface via USB.  To see this you can read the kernel log
by typing:

sudo tail /var/log/messages

Palm pilots use two actually tty ports, and I think they actually use
the second which should be ttyUSB1.

So now we know that it's (example) ttyUSB1.  to use this as a non-root
person you need to chmod it:

sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB1

There, now you can read and write it.

Optional:  if you want, you can link /dev/ttyUSB1 to /dev/pilot.

Now fire up Gpilot, and select /dev/ttyUSB1, and select the USB radio
button.  You can change the speed later if you wish.  Now the rest
should be self-explanatory.....

I should write a formal how-to for the YDL website. ;)

- --Andy Zschetzsche

On Mar 6, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Kenneth Browne wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running YDL 4.0 on a G4 400 Mhz with 512 RAM and have lots of
> questions and problems trying to sync my Palm device.
>
> Palm OS device is a Handspring Visor Edge. I have a serial cradle but
> the G4 has no serial ports so I am (trying to) use a generic
> serial/usb cable to solve the problem. I want to use the Gnome pilot
> sync but cannot figure out how to get the PC to see the Palm device.
>
> Gnome Pilot wants a "Port" setting. Default is /dev/pilot There's also
> a radio button for "USB" and another for "Serial" as well as IrDA and
> Network. I've tried all sorts of combinations, but can't get GPilot to
> find the Visor.
>
> In the limited help file there's mention of a link between /dev/pilot
> and something else. Can't figure that one out. /dev/pilot does not
> seem to exist. Do I create one simply by making a folder /pilot within
> /dev?
>
> What's the correct path to a USB port? /dev/USBtty#? or /dev/USB/tty#
> or something else altogether?
>
> Should I be telling GPilot to look at a serial port, such as /dev/tty0?
>
> I looked for help at a gpilot archive but most posters are dealing
> with non PPC distributions of Linux, none that I found relate to YDL.
>
> TIA for any help anyone can offer.
>
> --
> ****************Ken Browne*********************
> clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA
> 		        ***    ***
>

> -=-=-
> ... This is a Tag line Virus::::::Go ahead, copy me.
> * TagZilla 0.057 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

- --
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

- --The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register