How resume Airport Base Station under YDL4 only?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 11 10:59:58 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:59:41 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote: [...]
>> Hmmmm .... What's a sungem driver?
>
> The sungem driver allows Linux to use the wired Ethernet connector on
> your iBook.

Well, at one point, I did have the Base Station on the ethernet cable that
had previously gone to the PC, and the PC on another ethernet cable coming
back out of the Base Station -- and the PC connected fine. It was just the
wireless laptop that didn't.

So I presume that either the sungem is already there, or it isn't needed.
Right?
[....]
> I take this to mean that your cable modem has a built-in wireless
> router, which you have recently deactivated in favor of a wired router
> plugged into it, with another router (the AirPort) plugged into that. I
> still don't understand what you mean by "through the server" because
> under your old setup, all the machines could talk to each other.

My bad. The cable modem has only a power cord, the cable from Adelphia,
and an ethernet port. No antenna.

>From that port I had an ethernet cable to a NetworkEverywhere router with
an antenna. I took that router out, and instead put in a NetworkEverywhere
router without any antenna. I have a blue ethernet cable coming out of the
new router which can go straight to the downstairs PC on my wife's desk,
and works fine; but then the laptop would also have to have a cable.
Instead, I want to put the blue cable into the antenna-less router's
uplink port (rather than an ordinary port for just the PC), plug the
downstairs end into either the old wireless router or the Base Station,
and have both the PC and the laptop connect that way. (I'd actually prefer
to use the old wireless router, leaving the Base Station free for travel.)

The machines could not talk to each other; but that may have been due to
the way I had them configured. Also, in discussion with others, it turned
out that "talk to each other" might have several meanings....

> Unless the server is a fourth router or some kind of proxy, I don't get
> how the server can be a step between the iBook and the Internet at
> large.

The server-to-be is a 1998 pentium 2 running Fedora Core 2, presently on
the same antenna-free router and previously on its predecessor, doing fine
on both, and serving, if at all, as a backup to the backup : I have pretty
much all the same software on it as on my normal machine and its backup.

(Note: my electronic reach far exceeds my grasp; as a lifeline, I keep at
least one whole machine configured like my main one, so that if I bollix
the main one up so badly that it won't connect or won't even run, as I
occasionally do, I have another to jump to and ask for help. I realize
that's not the usual meaning of "backup," but I have yet to find a better
word. "Redundant," maybe?)

Since the modem does *not* have an antenna, the only way data can move
between any of my computers and the Net is over the ethernet cable coming
out the back of it; and to get to that, it has to go through the upstairs
antenna-less router.
[....]
> Once I figure out what you're trying to do, I'll be able to suggest
> several possible layouts for all this equipment. The way it sounds now
> is that you had a very simple setup before, but there was something you
> were unable to accomplish with it. The purpose of adding more equipment
> into the mix would typically be to prevent some kind of undesirable
> connectivity.

None of my machines could share anything except via floppies or CDs --
although, as I say, I probably need to do things like enable fileservers
inside them that have been disabled till now for safety, since I haven't
been using them.

I want them to share files and bookmarks; and there is a simplification
for email. At present, each connects separately, one at a time, by POP3 to
my local ISP; so I have separate saved folders, sent-mail folders, etc.,
on each machine.

My distant ISP is on the opposite coast -- in California, while I'm in
Virginia; each machine connects into it separately, one at a time, too
(via ssh); but there is only one sent-mail folder, etc. -- namely the one
on the California machine. I want to make my server behave like that to
the machines inside it, while doing all the connecting to the local ISP --
and similarly (less importantly) if possible, btw, for usenet.

Also, and this is an issue I'm very unsure of, would an in-house server
provide more security in the form of another firewall (besides the one on
each machine, and the router) -- or less by being a single point of
possible failure? (I can't lay my tongue to the term of art at the
moment.) [....]
> Like I said, if you lost your password and therefore need to reset the
> Base Station, you must connect it to some computer using anything
> functionally equivalent to a crossover Ethernet cable and change that
> computer's IP address and gateway so that it can see a reset Base
> Station.
[....]
>> Or do you mean those as actual addresses? Trying to browse to
>> http://192.42.249.15 times out.
>
> Yes, those as actual addresses, but not to browse to. You change your
> address to that.

I haven't the faintest notion how to do that, alas!

>> The underside of the base station says Model number M8840; ...
> There must be some mistake.
[....]
My bad. Typo. The model number on the Base Station is M8440. My apologies!
[....]
> That's not over your head. This is over your head:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20031207071236/http://www-hft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~strauman/airport/airport.html

<Grin> It is indeed, with a vengeance -- but also fascinating. Many
thanks! Maybe someday I'll be able to follow stuff like that. (I am
actually beginning to be able to read some of the similar man pages --
after years of work ....)

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4