OT: suggestions for phpBB replacement

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:36:09 MST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Nigel Horne wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 22:21, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
>
>> I know this is off topic, but I also know there are some very bright
>> guys on this list :)
>>
>> I am asking for suggestions for a replacement for phpBB.  Our phpBB
>> server (running on Mac OS X [10.3, i think]) recently got hacked,
>
> You don't say what version of phpBB you're running. It is true
> that phpBB doesn't have a good record for security but some work
> has been done recently. 2.0.12 was very insecure and should never
> be used, but you may find 2.0.13 is better.

Ah yes.  Everybody left as I was typing this, so I myself have no idea
what version it was. (I myself have never touched the box.)

The voice from my superiors is that we want to leave phpBB, regardless
of future security improvements, as the "will get hacked again, patch
it, and get hacked again."

Andy

>> Andy
>
> -Nigel

- --
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

- --The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register