YDL 4.0 no Network

Steve Meyer meyerst at uwstout.edu
Fri Mar 25 08:31:42 MST 2005

 From previous conversation...
"SM> when I do 'ifconfig -a' I do not see a MAC address listed.
Current conversation:
RS> You don't see something like this?

    "eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0a:43:75:96:3A"

	No, I don't...no MAC address is listed.

RS> "It should be... after you run ifup, 'service iptables status' (as
root) should
show the firewall config.."

	When i ran 'ifup eth0' I get  "configuration for eth0 not found."
message. Yet in the GUI side 'System Settings/Network', the hardware
tab lists GMAC (Sun GEM) 	as eth0 and it says it's status is "ok".

RS> "you can use tcpdump (as root) to watch traffic, to see if you are
getting dhcp