Hostname, Apache, and SSL

B1 b1smooth at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 12:58:11 MST 2005

Well first of all Mr. Xlargebear,

You need to edit your /etc/sysconf/network file and
change hostname to what you'd like it to be.

Your second and more laborious issue may be setting up
bind and named to make your box a dns for your domain.
Just setting the hostname as something.com won't allow
me to point my browser to you and access your apache
homepage. If you registered a domain name then you
should edit your hosts file in the /etc/hosts location
and add the name there, but this will only point you
to your box not other computers from your intranet or
THE internet..such as typing something.com in the
browser on the LOCAL machine and getting your apache
homepage.

3rd..you really would fair better with a static IP
address and have it in your hosts file with your FQD
and other aliases and in your zone file and named.conf
if you want the world to have access to
www.something.com

if you have gnome then as root do;

gedit /etc/sysconf/network

         if kde then use kedit

save that then do:

service network restart

All should be good...if not restart the box or restart
the other processes that aren't using the new
hostname. Try this first and just ignore everything
else if that fixes your problem.

If not then you need to scavenge the net for dns
howto's...if they are too hairy for you then reply
back with your concerns and I'll do my best to assist.