CPU Freq for 1.66 Ghz PowerBooks

Jonathan Hartje hartje at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 29 09:14:25 MST 2005

Pietro Pesci Feltri C. wrote:

> You are the man!!!!
>
> I need your help.
> I 'm thinking to get a new Powerbook G4 2005 from Apple, but I use YDL
> in 95% and MacOS X in 5%.
>
> 1) I need a CD with OS X because need to do a repartition for install
> YDL 4.0.1 (need to buy too :) ). Got you with Powerbook the disks with
> OS  X and extras for a complete new OS X install?.

If you buy a new PowerBook from Apple, the OSX CD is included. I've
never bought a machine from TS, so I dont know. Although, I don't know
why they wouldn't include it also.

> 2) In Yelowdog Page appear that trackpad is broken for your Powerbook
> model. Then I think you can't get a mouse working. Is this true?.

The trackpad is broken with the 2.6.10 kernel, but an external usb mouse
seems to work fine. I think the 2.6.11 kernel fixes this.

> 3) Same thing with sound, bright controls and sleep must be broken. Is
> this true?. Have you some issues?.

pbbuttonsd works fine for sleep, power, and brightness controls. At
least, my application of the powerbook responds correctly.

> 4) I can't understand the frequency issue you have experiencing. The
> clock rate is in another fequency?. What frequency is?.

cpufreq is the kernel driver that enables the processor's frequency to
be modified. Right now, the 2.6.10 kernel does not recognize 1.66 GHz as
the true maximum frequency for the new powerbooks. I hear that this is
fixed in 2.6.11. I'll try it and let everyone know the results.