Installing Lame & Pine (missing compiler components)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:36:11 MDT 2005

On 5/2/05, beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:26:35 -0400, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> > ===========
> > Compiling Pine
> > ===========
> [....]
> > In my case this is what I needed to run...
> > rpm -ivh /usr/src/yellowdog/RPMS/ppc/pine-4.63-1.ppc.rpm
> >
> > After that, run pine and see what a well designed CLUI interface looks
> > like (I still know people who use only pine and nothing else... I just
> > wanted something other than the pathetic and user-unfriendly mail that
> > ships as default with every Linux distro I've ever tried).
> >
> > Hope these comments help someone else stuck with compiler problems.
>
> I don't even try compiling anything -- far beyond my linux competence,
> even after years. But I not only still run Pine, I got linux for that main
> purpose in the first place. Pine used to be a standard component of all
> RedHat releases, from at least 6.0 through 9; I think it was Fedora that
> quit. Something to do with licenses; and the Pinemasters at UW on
> comp.mail.pine say apologetically that they're constrained by law to stick
> with that license; IANAL, but I have counted on those people for years.
>
> With straight Fedora it's easy enough to find rpms you can download
> and install; I run pine on three FC1 machines and an FC3 -- did under FC2
> on the testbed machine till I upgraded that to FC3.
>
> But I have yet to find an rpm for pine that I can install to our G3 iBook
> with YDL 4.0 -- and we run it much less because of that. *P*l*e*a*s*e*
> contribute your build to a standard repo as soon as you're sure of it!
> Pretty please! With sugar on it. And post to this list when you do. TIA,
> effusively. Bless you!

If that .rpm doesn't work I do recommend that you compile it. It
*really* is easy!

Start by logging in as root or by typing su at the command line in
Terminal (or whatever it's called in Linux).

Then:

yum install rpm-build gcc

Download the pine source from:
<ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/pine/pine-4.63-1.src.rpm>

1. Let's assume you downloaded 'pine-4.63-1.src.rpm' to the temporary directory:
/tmp

2. Open up a terminal, cd to the appropriate directory and build it:
cd /tmp
rpmbuild --rebuild pine-4.63-1.src.rpm

3. Keep an eye on the console output. This'll tell you where rpmbuild
put the compiled .rpm and use that information to install. In my case
this is what I ran:
rpm -ivh /usr/src/yellowdog/RPMS/ppc/pine-4.63-1.ppc.rpm

Note: if you run into "you're not allowed to do that" errors, make
sure that you're logged in as root or su.

For more information, go to:
<http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/linux.html>