OT - Care to share your opinion?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 6 16:28:55 MDT 2005

Messrs. Shere and Beartooth:

Howard Shere wrote:

> On May 6, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Mark Guertin wrote:
>
>> if it starts with "i" it's consumer ... iBook, iMac (except for e
>> which is also consumer -- eMac).  Also the color gives it away... if
>> it's white its a consumer machine (at least right now anyway).
> [...]
> For what its worth: I do all my development on my ibook. 800Mhz G3. I
> love it. Years of work. dawn to dusk. great machine! No problems. Ever.

Also for what it is worth: I second those points. The current form of
the iBook series (the white plastic ones) has been in production since
2001. The design and engineering have been proved (and improved) time
and again. Heck, they were designed for the education market, and have
to survive abuse by junior high school students! The major differences
between the current iBooks and their more expensive PowerBook brethren
are the video system (the PowerBooks support an independent external
monitor, whereas the iBook can only do "video mirroring"), the chip
cache and system bus, and the CPU speed -- none of which matter to many
consumers and to some pros.

The most negative point I can make about the current iBooks is that,
since they so closely resemble their four year old predecessors, they
are a bit boring today.

Best wishes,
Clint