Upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0.0 / 4.0.1

yiding_wang at agilent.com yiding_wang at agilent.com
Mon May 16 15:39:30 MDT 2005

I want to upgrade from 2.4.x to 2.6.x.

I have a G5 system with 2 cpus. Currenly the systemis running on YDL 3.0.1 I got from Terra Soft directly (including system). The current YDL 3.0.1 only supports 1 cpu and has many limitations on other hardware support.
Team,

To save some time on trying different kernels to find th ebest one for my system, I hope to get some direction on the upgrade. Here is the questions:

1, Does any 2.6.x kernel with PPC suport will work onG5 system?
   - G5 system has some issues working wit standard linux kernel
     and Terra Soft did some patch in YDL Linux to make it work.
   If it works,
      Does my yaboot is 1.3.0 work wit the kernel?
      Which version of 2.6.x kernel fit the best?
      What additional patch I should have (such as module support)?

2, If not, should I get YDL 4.0 first or I can directly upgrade
   from 3.0.1 to 4.0.1?
   Does 4.0.1 have new version of yaboot to support?

Thanks!

Eddie