autorun script on login

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Mon May 16 18:01:44 MDT 2005

Not quite... You don;t want to exec startkde since it will take over the
shell. I think this will work:
.xinitrc:

#!/bin/bash
EXEC="/home/demo/runtime/bin/DEMO.sh"
$EXEC start > /tmp/DEMO.log 2>&1

startkde

$EXEC stop

Discussion
-------------
Unless "DEMO.sh start" launches the application and then exits, you will
have to put it into background, otherwise you will never get to
startkde.

startkde should "block" until the user exits so a wait would be
unnecessary

-Joseph

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 16:52 -0500, Jonathan Hartje wrote:
> Joseph,
>     Thanks for the info. Would the follwing work for waiting..?
>
> .xinitrc:
>
>    #!/bin/bash
>
>     EXEC="/home/demo/runtime/bin/DEMO.sh"
>
>     $EXEC start >/tmp/DEMO.log 2>&1
>
>     sleep 20;
>
>     exec startkde &
>
>     wait;
>
>     $EXEC stop
>
> #End of xinitrc
>

> Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
>
> >Take a look at
> >
> >	~/.bash_logout
> >
> >There are other options...
> >
> >-Joseph
> >
> >On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 13:09 -0500, Jonathan Hartje wrote:
> >

> >>Joseph and Mark,
> >>    Thanks again. The .xsession did the trick! I read the info Joseph
> >>pointed me to; However, I'm now in the same situation but the reverse
> >>timing. Is there an equivalent file which gets sourced on logout? I'll
> >>need to reset the software on logout so the next user that comes along
> >>gets a fresh runtime. I'm half way there.. Thanks.
> >>
> >>Jonathan
joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net